Join us on Sunday, June 4 at 3:00 pm when we welcome Clemens Teufel for an encore performance with accompanying pianist Angela Kim. The rare technique of two pianists performing on one piano will be presented in our historic Harrison Room. The program will feature pieces from classical composers, such as Mozart and Shubert.
Newport –New York architect Auguste Noel found himself busy rebuilding following the 1938 hurricane, working on Whitney Studio and the Spouting Rock Bathing Association pavilion. He was but one of a group of prominent architects who greatly impacted the appearance of Newport during the Interwar Years including Grosvenor Atterbury, Ballantyne & Olson, Frederic Rhinelander King, Harrie T. Lindeberg, William Mackenzie, Charles Adams Platt, Polhemus & Coffin and Russell & Clinton.
The Waves was built in 1927 as the summer residence and studio of renowned classical architect John Russell Pope and his wife Sadie Jones Pope. The use of local materials at the sympathetic natural site set a standard for estate building in the 1920s ands 30s and would become the setting for casual and innovative entertaining.
Chetwode, an estate on the west corner of Bellevue and Ruggles Avenue, was completed in 1903 for the William Storrs Wells family and acquired in 1934 by John Jacob Astor III and his bride Ellen Tuck French. The young Astor family then reinvigorated what was once one of Newport’s grandest homes.